As a long time arcade goer, I've witnessed first hand the downfall of the American arcade scene. Arcades used to bring an experience that could not be replicated with our home entertainment systems, but slowly they were phased out. Arguably, fighting games were always a large draw for the arcades. Being able to play against others for that precious spot in front the cabinet was exciting, and an experience I think all competitive gamers can appreciate. In Japan, arcades still flourish, and the fighting game scene is still huge. Even with the advent of the internet and online games, the arcades in Japan still make a profit. So without further ado, here are Japans' most popular and profitable arcade fighting games as of April 2012....
10. Guilty Gear Accent Core XX
9. Blazblue Continuum Shift II
8. Dragonball Zenkai Battle Royale
7. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
6. AquaPazza: AquaPlus Dream Match
5. Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Ed. Ver. 2012
4. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
3. Tekken Unlimited Tag Tournament 2
2. Gundam vs Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost
1. Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena
Fantastic lineup. Makes me wish I could travel to Japan at moments notice. It's actually pretty amazing to still see such old classics like Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and Guilty Gear Accent Core on the list. Those two in particular are around 10 years old!